Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fuggerei

On Saturday I took the tram into downtown Augsburg. My main goal was to make it to the Fuggerei Museum, but it was also interesting to see everyone out and about the one day of the holiday weekend when stores and such were actually open.

The concept of the Fuggerei intrigued me the first time that I heard about it not only because it the oldest social housing complex in the world, but also because the entrance and rent requirements have not changed in the almost 500 years that it has been around.


I was able to walk through a coupl of apartments.  The first was one that has been modernized:





There is another apartment that is attached to the museum that is set-up in pre-1900 fashion:






One of the more notable past residents is Franz Mozart, great-grandfather of the Mozart:


Some random shots:


 

And a few shots from new explorations of Augsburg:



No comments: